Thursday, October 29, 2015

WHY OBSCURE LPs? WHY NOT?

At one time I owed about 30,000 LPs.  I didn't set off to own 30,000 LPs, rather it just kind of happened ...   I bought a couple of albums at a store; found a couple more at a yard sale; had a friend give me a couple of LPs ...   The collection just kind of happened.  I remember doing a back of the envelope calculation that it would take me 8.4 years (7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 52 weeks a year) to listen to those 30,000 LPs..  With a regular job and a young family, it seemed unlikely I would ever get a chance to listen to 8.4 years worth of music, so a couple of years ago I started BadCatRecords to sell some of those LPs.   The good news is that 30,000 is down to about 14,000.  Yes, still way to much, but progress to getting it under control.  'Course that ignores the hundreds of cassettes, CDs, and 45s that I have parked away in boxes.   Oh well, ya' got to start somewhere.
 
Sure, I had/have more than my share of AC/DC, Elton John, Journey, ZZ Top, etc.   And I love that stuff.  It's part of my youth.  That said, a lot of the collection reflects non-top 40 material; not necessarily rare, or highly collectible, but the kind of stuff you'd have to put a little effort into locating.  It's mostly stuff that caught my attention for one reason or another; a cool album cover; a label I'd heard about; a band member I recognized; a group a friend had mentioned, or I'd read something about ..
 
Anyhow, I figured I would start to post short reviews for some of these obscurities in the hopes of giving the artists a little bit of public exposure.

How do I define obscure?  Well, probably pretty broad terms.  If it was a top-10 seller I probably won't post it.  Similarly, if the artist is well known, I probably won't post it.  Other than that, pretty much anything is fair game.
 
I welcome comments (remember the reviews reflect my personnel opinions and noting more, so don't feel the need to call me tone deaf and stupid), and feel free to make suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment